Sometimes you might have the need to rename a file. The file could be a document or a picture. It might be a spreadsheet or an invoice. Whatever the file is, here are a few simple steps on how to rename a file.
In the exercise below we will rename the file called Family to Family Cell Phone Info: (I don’t know about you but we have several cell phones which are all different with individual cell phone plans. So a spreadsheet makes it easy to see all the information at once.)
5 Easy Steps to Rename a File
- Locate the file and click on it one time to select the file.
- While pointing at the file, RIGHT click to bring up a short cut menu
- Point to Rename and LEFTclick
- Take your hand off the mouse/Don’t CLICK – The file name is selected, just start typing the new file name
- In the example below we renamed Family to Family Cell Phone Info. Press the Enter key on the keyboard when you finish typing
That’s it – Your file has now been renamed.
If you find yourself with several similar files you might consider creating folders for your files, you have find instructions on creating folders here: http://helpingbee.com/computers/windows-7/how-to-create-folders-in-windows-7/#more-553